Whip's Warlords PitBoss Apr 2, 2007 17:14:09 GMT -5
Post by emperor on Apr 2, 2007 17:14:09 GMT -5
onan said:Quick question(s) for you guys, since I'm certain someone in this bunch will know the answer:
1) Is Pitboss only functional with the Warlords expansion?
2) If it's already functional with the basic game, are there games played with that version?
3) Are you loving it? Why / why not? Better than PBEM?
p.s.: sorry for the threadjack. Admins among you, feel free to dump me in a new thread linked here or something.
1. As Necro says, it's functional with both the original Civ4 and Warlords.
2. Yes, there are, although they're diminishing in number since most people now have Warlords and there's no sense in playing without the new features. I'm currently in one such vanilla Civ4 Pitboss that's in the late modern ages (we're now fighting with Mech Infantry and soon Modern Armor). That's still an extremely exciting game, with the 15 remaining players roughly split into two fairly evenly matched alliances. The battles and struggles over territory are immense, and the game still hasn't fallen to one side or the other. You can find that game on Civstats, actually: www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=23
By the way, I expect that once the second expansion (BTS) becomes common amongst people, games started in Warlords will begin to diminish too.
3. Absolutely, Pitboss is awesome. It's like a PBEM in many ways, in that each time you log into your turn you can analyse your position and play out your moves. Pitboss and PBEM both tend to bring out the best in players, since you have to make every turn count (not like in single player where it's just enter-enter-enter at the end of the turn). The diplomacy between players is also much more exciting, since you actually have time to discuss with them between moves. Unlike PBEM though, you don't ever get that annoying lag when one player goes on holiday (for instance), so turns are pretty much rigidly stuck to 24 hours (or less, if everyone ends their turn in time). This is the major thing which makes Pitboss better than PBEM, since you can have a (virtually) unlimited number of human players with little to no extra turn delay, whereas a PBEM with any more than 4 or 5 players will usually experience a severe lag. With Pitboss, you can go to 18 players and beyond.
Necro: If you want to get involved in more Pitboss games, there are always large-scale games being started over at Strategamer, or alternatively you can try CFC. Of course, you may wish to stick with PAL, and that's fine. Personally I just go wherever the games are though, myself.